Two-storey flats for aged persons in Newhills Road in the Wellhouse area of Easterhouse, photographed shortly after their completion in 1958. Surviving trees provide an element of rural landscaping. The school on the left is Wellhouse Primary School.
In several areas of the city, Glasgow Corporation built flats for old people offering the opportunity for the tenant to live as independently as possible with their own possessions around them and supported by volunteers from their own community. The houses were specially designed or adapted to meet the disability requirements of residents.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/28/72
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bulletin, council houses, disabilities, disabled people, Glasgow Corporation, housing estates, housing schemes, old people's homes, old persons, primary schools, sheltered housing, Wellhouse Primary School