The Orange Hall in Pollokshaws Road, photographed in 1958. This is one of a series of photographs taken by Glasgow Corporation's Architectural and Planning Department prior to the wholesale redevelopment of Pollokshaws in the 1960s.
The Orange Order was well-supported in Pollokshaws. It is believed that Ulster Protestants in the burgh's weaving community founded the earliest lodge in the 1820s. By 1925 there were seven lodges of the Loyal Orange Institution of Scotland in the area - five adult, one juvenile and one female. Sir John Gilmour, who was Unionist MP for the Pollok constituency from 1918 until 1940, was a member of a local lodge. He was the first person to hold the post of Secretary of State for Scotland, from 1926 to 1929.
The widening of Pollokshaws Road in the 1960s required the hall in the photograph to be demolished. The Orange Lodge then took the Pollokshaws Unionist Rooms in Shawbridge Street.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/28/53
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Architectural and Planning Department, Conservative and Unionist Party, Conservative Party, Irish, Loyal Orange Institution of Scotland, Members of Parliament, MPs, Orange Halls, Orange Lodges, Orange Order, orangeism, Pollokshaws Unionist Rooms, Secretaries of State for Scotland, Ulster Protestants, weavers