Pollokshaws Baths, seen from the rear of the building in Christian Street in 1957. This is one of a series of photographs taken by Glasgow Corporation's Architectural and Planning Department prior to the wholesale redevelopment of Pollokshaws in the 1960s.
The red brick building was designed and constructed as a baths and wash-house around 1920 by the Corporation's Office of Public Works. It was converted into Pollokshaws Sports Centre in the 1980s. A proposal by Glasgow City Council to close the centre in 1999 was resisted successfully.
An air-raid siren was sited on the roof of the baths. Newspaper notices gave local people warning of tests. This continued until the 1960s, and the siren remained in place until 1992.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/28/19
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
air raid sirens, Architectural and Planning Department, laundries, Office of Public Works, Pollokshaws Sports Centre, public baths, steamies, swimming pools, wash-houses