The Glasgow South Co-operative Society shop in Shawbridge Street, Pollokshaws, photographed in 1957. This is one of a series of photographs taken by Glasgow Corporation's Architectural and Planning Department prior to the wholesale redevelopment of Pollokshaws in the 1960s.
The photograph was taken on 23 December, but only the "Gifts" notice in the window gives any clue as to the approach of Christmas. Christmas was less widely celebrated in Scotland in the 1950s, with many people going to work as usual on Christmas Day. New Year's Day was still the main holiday.
Founded in 1864, the Society operated from a private house in its early years. With increasing membership and income, it was able to open a number of branches, and in 1904 took this the site in Shawbridge Street to build a suite of shops with houses above. The Co-op had six shops in the one building. They were furnishing and hardware; dairy; grocery; butcher; drapery; and footware.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, AP9/7/28/2
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Architectural and Planning Department, Christmas, Glasgow South Co-operative Society, motor cars, Pollokshaws Co-operative Society, prams, Scottish Co-operative and Wholesale Society, SCWS, shops, streetscenes, tenements