This 1964 photograph shows the Gordon Arms and the Imperial Billiard Hall, both part of Gordon Chambers in Mitchell Street.
Architect Frank Burnet designed Gordon Chambers for publican David Ross, whose initials were inscribed on the facade. The impressive eight-storey red sandstone building was completed in 1906 at an estimated cost of £32,500. It occupies the area between Mitchell Street, Mitchell Lane and Gordon Lane.
Originally the Gordon Bar, the pub has been refurbished on several occasions, although the original exterior survives. It has now been renamed Ross's in honour of the founder. The Imperial Billiard Hall was located in the basement and other parts of Gordon Chambers were let as offices and warehouses. The ground floor was originally one of Glasgow's earliest motor car showrooms.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1513
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
billiard halls, Gordon Arms, Gordon Bar, Gordon Chambers, Imperial Billiard Hall, motor car showrooms, public house bars, public houses, publicans, pubs, red sandstone, Ross's