The Renfield Street premises of R G Lawrie, manufacturers of bowls, bagpipes and kilts, 1963.
R G Lawrie started business in John Street in 1881 as a manufacturer of bowling green bowls. He built machinery which produced bowls much more rapidly than conventional methods, without loss of quality. Another of his inventions was a machine for testing the bias of bowls.
Lawrie's bowls were sold throughout the countries of the British Empire, and in the United States. This encouraged the firm to diversify into the production and sale of tartan souvenirs. The shop proved a magnet for overseas visitors, supplementing Lawrie's extensive mail order business.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1941
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bagpipes, bowling, bowling green bowls manufacturers, bowls, exports, inventors, kilts, lawn bowls, mail order, R G Lawrie, souvenirs, streetscenes, tartan