A branch of R S McColl sits uncomfortably between two institutions competing for the loyalty of Glasgow citizens, Renfield Street Church and Lauder's Bar. The photograph, showing the corner of Renfield Street and Sauchiehall Street, was taken in 1963.
The church opened in 1848 as Renfield Street United Presbyterian Church, becoming Renfield Street United Free Church in 1900, and Renfield Street Church of Scotland in 1929. There was a well in the basement. The church closed in 1964 and the congregation became part of Renfield St Stephen's in Bath Street. In 2003 the site is occupied by a branch of British Home Stores.
Lauder's Bar dates from 1836. It is named for Archibald Lauder, who took the licence in 1871 when it was the Royal Lochnagar Vaults. Lauder produced a blended whisky, Lauder's Royal Northern Cream, which was exported worldwide. The pub was conveniently situated near cinemas, dance halls and theatres, and it remains popular at the beginning of the 21st century.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1913
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
British Home Stores, Church of Scotland, churches, confectioners, Lauder's Bar, Lauder's Royal Northern Cream, public houses, publicans, pubs, R S McColl, Renfield Street Church, Renfield Street United Free Church, Renfield Street United Presbyterian Church, Royal Lochnagar Vaults, Scotch whisky, shops, streetscenes, theatres, wells, whisky blenders, wine and spirit merchants