The premises at 152-170 Renfield Street of W & R Hatrick, manufacturing chemists and druggists, photographed in 1963. The firm's van parked outside delivered products to chemists' shops in the west of Scotland.
William Hatrick started business in Paisley in 1830, moving to Glasgow with his son Robert in 1860. They moved to North Frederick Street when their warehouse was bought as part of the development of St Enoch Station, and then acquired their extensive premises in Renfield Street in 1881.
In 1901 it is recorded that "Messrs Hatrick's principal products are tinctures, chemical and vegetable syrups and liquors, concentrated infusions, decoctions, and liquid extracts, which are mainly prepared by the processes recommended in the British Pharmacopoeia, of definite degrees of purity and strength." It was noted that the new century had seen drugs in their crude state displaced by tablets, capsules and cachets.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1889
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
British Pharmacopoeia, chemists and druggists, drugguists, drugs, pharmacies, pharmacists, vans, W & R Hatrick