The premises of R W Forsyth, ladies' and gents' outfitters in Renfield Street, pictured in 1963.
The original R W Forsyth set up in business as hosier, glover and shirtmaker at 5-7 Renfield Street in 1872. The business prospered, leading to expansion to the corner of Gordon Street in 1897. The new building, on six floors, was "heated by hot water pipes, and two gas engines of 32 hp each, providing an electric light installation for illuminating purposes." The staircase was particulary admired, sweeping upwards centrally from each floor with handsomely carved balustrades. Further expansion followed, with the opening of a large store on a prime site on Princes Street in Edinburgh in 1907. The business remained in the family, in the hands of the founder's son Graham and grandson Derek.
Forsyth's had a strong reputation for quality clothing and fashions, and also succeeded in specialist areas such as sports equipment and school outfitting. The store closed in 1983, when the firm moved to premises formerly occupied by the Trerons department store in Sauchiehall Street.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1956
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
clothes, clothing manufacturers, drapers, electricity, glovers, hosiers, outfitters, R W Forsyth, school uniforms, shirtmakers, shop windows, shops, sports equipment, staircases, streetscenes, tailors