This photograph shows Glasgow College of Building and Printing under construction in North Hanover Street in 1962. Main contractors Melville, Dundas & Whitson were a familiar sight in the 1960s and 1970s, winning a number of contracts for public sector buildings at the time.
The building was opened on 24 April 1964 by Labour Party leader Harold Wilson. His opening speech was relayed on close-circuit television to audiences in Langside College of Further Education and Barmulloch College of Further Education, where new buildings were formally declared open on the same day.
The College of Building and Printing was formed from the amalgamation of the College of Building, which has had a presence on the current site since 1927, and the College of Printing. The College claims to be Scotland's leading education and training centre for the construction and communication industries. A wide range of full time and part time courses is available, offering a variety of qualifications.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1569
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Barmulloch College of Further Education, building sites, close-circuit television, colleges, communication industries, construction industries, Glasgow College of Building, Glasgow College of Building and Printing, Glasgow College of Printing, Labour Party, Langside College of Further Education, Melville, Dundas and Whitson, motor cars, streetscenes, taxis