The busy intersection of Bath Street (right), Berkeley Street (left) and North Street, looking north along North Street in the early 1960s.
The corner of the Mitchell Library is on the left and the Berkeley Restaurant is on the other side of Berkeley Street. The Cameron Memorial Fountain on Sauchiehall Street is visible in the distance, with Woodside Crescent behind.
With the exception of the Berkeley Restaurant, now the site of an apartment block, the buildings on the west side of North Street are largely unchanged in the early 21st century. However, the east side was completely transformed in the late 1960s when all the buildings were demolished to make way for the sunken M8 motorway. Bridges now carry Bath Street and Sauchiehall Street across the motorway.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1548
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
apartment blocks, Berkeley Restaurant, Cameron Memorial Fountain, fountains, libraries, M8, Mitchell Library, motor cars, motorways, restaurants, streetscenes, traffic policemen, urban redevelopment