The St George's Cross branch of D M Hoey, tailors and outfitters, New City Road. The photograph was taken in 1964 before the area was redeveloped to accommodate the M8 motorway. The shop was one of six Hoey's branches in Glasgow at the time, the others being in Argyle Street, Maryhill Road, Dumbarton Road in Partick, West Nile Street and Sutherland Avenue, Ibrox.
Established in 1898, D M Hoey remains in business at the beginning of the 21st century. It supplies mainly men's casual clothing and footwear, trading on old-fashioned values of personal service and competitive prices.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1544
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
clothes, clothing, D M Hoey, drapers, Hoey's, M8, motorways, outfitters, shopping, shops, streetscenes, tailors, urban redevelopment