Shops and tenements on the south-west side of New City Road in 1964, looking towards St George's Cross, before the area was redeveloped to accommodate the M8 motorway.
Baker Joe Faulds had two shops in Glasgow at the time, in New City Road and Maryhill Road. He was also a director and supplier of pies at Partick Thistle FC and spectators at Firhill Stadium knew well the advertisement at pitch-side proclaiming "Faulds pies satisfies". Next door, the shop of house furnishers James Grant & Co was one of ten in Glasgow. The sale banner anticipates the imminent demise of the area.
The New City Road branch of car and cycle accessories shop Halfords was one of three in Glasgow in 1964. Now one of the largest non-food retailers in the UK, Halfords has followed the trend of building out-of-town rather than city centre stores.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1539
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
advertisements, bakers, bicycles, cycle accessories, cycles, Faulds pies, Firhill Stadium, football club directors, furniture, Halfords, house furnishers, James Grant & Co, motor car accessories, Partick Thistle FC, shops, tenements