A busy streetscene at the south end of Garscube Road, looking south-east along Cowcaddens Street towards the city centre with New City Road leading off to the right. The entrance to Cowcaddens Underground Station is beside the Subway Bar.
The photograph was taken in 1964, when New City Road was a busy thoroughfare connecting Great Western Road with the city centre. New City Road had previously extended beyond St George's Cross, but the north-west section was renamed Maryhill Road.
The entire Cowcaddens area was redeveloped a few years later, with all of the buildings in the photograph being demolished. The area on the right was landscaped, with new housing built beyond the grassy area.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-PL 2/1/1525
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Cowcaddens Underground Station, public houses, pubs, streetscenes, Subway Bar, Subway stations, Underground stations, urban redevelopment