A view of some smaller factories on Hillington Road in Hillington Industrial Estate, 1950s. The plaque on the monument commemorates the planting of trees on the occasion of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953. The firm of William Jack, laundry engineers, was one of the original tenants on the estate. They continued in business in Hillington Road until the early 1970s.
When Hillington Industrial Estate opened in 1938, it was claimed that "industry had been divorced from ugliness." Careful design provided a clean, healthy and attractive business environment, for mainly small light industrial units such as the ones illustrated. Trees, flower beds and grassed areas were tended by gardeners. Steam was produced in a central boiler house and distributed by underground pipes for process work and heating in individual factories.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, P7616
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
coronations, factories, gardens, Hillington Industrial Estate, industrial estates, landscape architecture, laundry engineers, light industries, monuments, steam, trees, William Jack