Alexander "Greek" Thomson's most famous work, St Vincent Street Free Church, photographed from the north-west in 1994 for Glasgow City Council's newspaper The Bulletin. The office block in the background, criticised as diminishing the visual impact fo the church, was demolished in the early 21st century but replaced by an apartment block of similar size.
The church was completed in 1859 for the United Presbyterian Church and has survived more or less intact. A Greek temple-like edifice, its impressive interior illuminated by a flood of natural light from three levels of windows, it is situated alongside an unconnected clock tower which is rich in detail influenced by classical Assyrian, Egyptian and Indian architecture.
The church was acquired by Glasgow City Council in 1970 and rented to a Free Church of Scotland congregation, which continues to hold its services there. It was designated a World Heritage Site in 2000.
Reference: Bulletin photographs, Box 11, March 1994
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, Bulletin, churches, clock towers, Free Church of Scotland, Glasgow City Council, office blocks, St Vincent Street Free Church, temples, United Presbyterian Church, World Heritage Sites