Holmwood House, pictured in the February 1993 issue of Glasgow City Council's newspaper The Bulletin. The Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions had acquired the house in 1958 and built a primary school in the grounds. The newspaper announced that, with the departure of the nuns and the closure of the school in 1992, the Council had decided to proceed with compulsory purchase of the property.
Holmwood was designed by the architect Alexander "Greek" Thomson. It was built in 1857-1858 for James Couper, who owned (with his brother Robert) Millholm Paper Mills nearby on the banks of the White Cart Water. Thomson adapted Classical Greek styling to fit in with mid-19th century Scottish taste. Many rooms are richly ornamented in wood, plaster and marble.
The National Trust for Scotland took ownership of the magnificent villa in 1994. Repairs and restoration work continue in the early 21st century, and the building and gardens are open to the public.
Reference: Bulletin Photographs, Box 11, February 1993
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, Bulletin, compulsory purchase, conservation, gardens, Glasgow City Council, Holmwood House, mansions, Millholm Paper Mills, National Trust for Scotland, nuns, restoration, River Cart, schools, Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions, villas, White Cart Water