The memorial in Elder Park to sailors and workers lost in submarine K13 in 1917, photographed for the June 1984 issue of Glasgow City Council's newspaper The Bulletin. The memorial was featured in the Council's "Adopt a Monument" scheme, an attempt to persuade sponsors to pay for the upkeep of monuments in the city.
The memorial was erected by staff of Fairfield Shipyard, where K13 was built. On 29 January 1917, K13 foundered in the Gareloch while on trials. Thirty-two men, including six of the shipyard's workers, lost their lives. Forty-seven others were rescued after being trapped for 57 hours. The boat was towed back to the shipyard, re-fitted and re-commissioned as K22. The number 13 was never again given to a Royal Navy submarine.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection, Bulletin Photographs
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
disasters at sea, Elder Park, Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Fairfield Shipyard, Gareloch, K13, K22, monuments, Royal Navy, sailors, submarines, war memorials