The old clock tower in Pleasance Street, Pollokshaws, illustrated in the November 1982 issue of the Glasgow City Council newspaper The Bulletin. The tower was part of the City Council's "Adopt a Monument" scheme, an attempt to persuade sponsors to pay for the upkeep of monuments in the city.
The Dutch-style tower, with its four-faced clock, is the only surviving fragment of the old Townhouse erected by the "The Community or Common Council of the Town of Pollokshaws" in 1803. The Townhouse was built at considerable cost and the debt became a long-term burden to the burgh. It was demolished in 1934.
The clock tower is one of the few remnants of the old village which survived the redevelopment of the area in the 1960s. A small part of the shopping arcade built in the 1960s can be seen on the right of the photograph.
Reference: Mitchell Library, Glasgow Collection, Bulletin Photographs
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Bulletin, Burgh Buildings, clock towers, clocks, Community or Common Council of the Town of Pollokshaws, monuments, redevelopment, shops, streetscenes, townhouses