The original New Bedford cinema in Eglinton Street, photographed in 1924. The building had been erected as Eglinton Street United Secession Church in 1825 and was converted to a cinema in 1921. It was burned to the ground in 1932.
Owner Bernard Frutin immediately commissioned a replacement, which opened in the same year. It was sold to George Green in 1936 and continued as a cinema until it closed in 1973. It was then converted into one of Glasgow's most successful bingo clubs.
In March 2003 the building re-opened after its conversion into a live concert and dance venue, Carling Academy Glasgow. Local group Deacon Blue topped the bill on launch night. The venue has a capacity of 2,500 and hopes to attract major bands and singers to Glasgow.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/1100
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
bingo, Carling Academy Glasgow, churches, cinemas, concert venues, concerts, dance halls, Deacon Blue, Eglinton Street United Free Church, Eglinton Street United Presbyterian Church, Eglinton Street United Secession Church, George Green Ltd, New Bedford Cinema, pop groups, pop music, rock'n'roll