Thomson's School of Dancing and the Imperial Palais dance hall both operated from this converted villa at 98 St George's Road in Woodside, photographed in 1930.
The Imperial Palais de Danse had the distinction of hosting the Glasgow Bantam Championships in the 1930s. As the name suggests, entry for this dancing competition was restricted to contestants below a certain height.
Opened in the 1920s, the Imperial Palais was renamed the West End Ballroom in the 1950s. It finally closed when ballroom dancing went out of fashion in the 1960s.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/2753
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
ballrooms, dance halls, dances, dancing, dancing schools, Glasgow Bantam Championships, Imperial Palais, Thomson's School of Dancing, villas, wee bauchles, West End Ballroom