The exterior of the F & F Palais de Danse at 201 Dumbarton Road, Partick, in 1940. The building also served as a roller skating rink.
The site was originally occupied by the Star Palace cinema, which opened in 1910 and closed in 1925. It was acquired by entertainment entrepreneurs Fyfe & Fyfe who converted it into a roller skating rink-cum-dance hall. The building was the F & F Palais de Danse on three nights a week, with another three nights reserved for roller skating.
Dancing continued at the F & F until the 1960s, when the building was converted into a bingo hall. Fyfe & Fyfe had various other interests in the entertainment industry, and at one time owned the Salon Cinema in Hillhead.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, D-CA 8/988
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
ballrooms, bingo, bingo halls, cinemas, dance halls, dances, dancing, F & F Bingo, F & F Palais de Danse, Fyfe & Fyfe, roller skating rinks, Salon Cinema, Star Palace Cinema