The interior of Stirling's Library in the Royal Exchange building, pictured around 1954 following the building's conversion to a library. Specially-designed book cases were placed at right angles to the wall and in alignment with columns, forming 8-feet wide alcoves.
Stirling's Library was founded in 1791 as a free library funded by a bequest from a Glasgow merchant, Walter Stirling. The library was located in his house in Miller Street and then at other addresses nearby. In 1912 it was transferred to the city's Libraries Department, and moved to new premises in Miller Street (formerly occupied by the Mitchell Library) in 1913.
In 1954 Stirling's Library removed once again, to the Royal Exchange on Queen Street. It was moved back to Miller Street in 1994 to allow for the building's conversion into the Gallery of Modern Art. The library returned to the basement of the Royal Exchange building (previously occupied by the Commercial Library) as the Library at GOMA in 2002.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
book cases, columns
, Commercial Library, Gallery of Modern Art, GOMA, libraries, Library at GOMA, Mitchell Library, Royal Exchange, Stirling's Library