Hutchesontown District Library in McNeil Street was opened in 1906. The photograph dates from the following year. It was one of the twelve libraries constructed with philanthropist Andrew Carnegie's gift of £100,000 to the city of Glasgow in 1901. It was also one of the seven of these buildings designed by the architect James R Rhind.
It has sometimes been suggested the Carnegie's money went to the erection of handsome buildings rather than stock, creating monuments to the donor. Hutchesontown opened with a stock of 9,600 books and private donors provided additional material. In 1907 the Libraries Committee was pleased to accept a donation of 112 books on biology and geology for Hutchesontown Library from local businessman John Woyka.
The building ceased to be used as a library in 1964. In 2003 it houses the Gorbals Economic Regeneration Centre.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, books, donations, Gorbals Economic Regeneration Centre, Hutchesontown District Library, libraries, Libraries Committee