Govanhill and Crosshill District Library in 1907 with a large group of children outside the entrance in Langside Road. The statues on the roof, showing a mother reading to children, are intended to represent knowledge.
Opened in 1906, Govanhill and Crosshill District Library is one of the twelve libraries constructed with Andrew Carnegie's gift of £100,000 to the city in 1901. It is also one of the seven of these buildings designed by the architect James R Rhind. The unusual Baroque style is typical of Rhind's work, with the use of columns, two groups of statues and a sandstone dome topped with a bronze statuette over the recessed doorway. The building is still in use as a library in 2003.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
architects, Baroque, bicycles, children, columns, domes, Govanhill and Crosshill District Library, libraries, statues