Carntyne United Free Church, at the corner of Shettleston Road and Wellshot Road, c 1904. Designed by Robert Bryden, it was originally known as Shettleston Carntyne Free Church. The church was built in 1893 and a hall facing Shettleston Road was added in 1914.
The congregation had its origins in the Shettleston Sabbath School Association, which held Sunday schools in various halls in the area in the late 19th century in conjunction with church services under the auspices of Shettleston Free Church. A Free Church congregation was established in 1890, three years before the opening of the church which became Carntyne UF Church in 1900.
At the union with the Church of Scotland in 1929, Carntyne UF was renamed Carntyne Old Church.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, TD1271/1/75
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Carntyne Old Church, Carntyne United Free Church, Church of Scotland, churches, Free Church of Scotland, Shettleston Carntyne Free Church, Shettleston Free Church, Shettleston Sabbath School Association, Sunday schools, United Free Church of Scotland