Eastbank Parish Church in Old Shettleston Road, photographed in 1986. Designed by W G Rowan, it is built 1901-1904 using red sandstone from Locharbriggs, Dumfriesshire, and is regarded as a significant example of Glasgow Style architecture. The interior is greatly admired for its imaginatively designed and executed woodwork and furnishings.
The rapid increase in the population of Shettleston towards the end of the 19th century led the United Presbyterian Church to establish a congregation there. The first service was held in Eastmuir School in 1896. A hall was opened on the present site in Old Shettleston Road in 1899 and the church was opened on the site in 1904 as Shettleston Eastbank United Free Church. Its name became Eastbank Parish Church after the union of the United Free with the Church of Scotland in 1929.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, Deposited Collections
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Church of Scotland, churches, Eastbank Church, Eastmuir School, Glasgow Style, sandstone, United Free Church of Scotland, United Presbyterian Church, woodwork