Eastbank Academy, Shettleston, photographed around 1937.
The school was built in 1904 for Shettleston School Board under chairman Dr Alexander Scott and replaced the much smaller Eastmuir School. It was christened "Scott's Folly" by those who considered it an over-ambitious project for the village of Shettleston. However, the local population grew rapidly and soon proved the need for a large school, as by 1901 the school roll had grown to 1,127 pupils. By the 1930s the school had become too small, with Eastmuir School having to be reopened for primary pupils and temporary accommodation built close to the school.
Plans for a new school had to be postponed due to the Second World War, and a new Eastbank Academy was not opened until 1986. In 1989 the old school building re-opened as the Shettleston Campus of John Wheatley College after extensive renovation.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, TD1271/1/50
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Eastbank Academy, Eastmuir School, education, John Wheatley College, schools, Scott's folly, Shettleston School Board