Two very different solutions to Glasgow's housing shortage are illustrated in this photograph from Sandyhills, 1968. In the foreground are single-storey prefabs, built in the years following the Second World War. Behind them are multi-storey flats under construction in Balbeggie Street. The prefabs were demolished in the late 1970s and the area landscaped as Sandyhills Park.
The area was a well-known beauty spot and recreation area before the Second World War. It was originally part of the site of the Sandyhills estate, originally owned by the Corbetts of Tollcross. It became known as "The Preaching Braes" after the Reformed Presbyterian Church held open-air services there in the 1780s. A mansion known as Sandyhills House was built in 1853 but demolished to make way for the high rises shown here.
Reference: Glasgow City Archives, TD1271/1/26
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
council houses, housing, housing estates, housing schemes, multi-storey flats, Preaching Braes, prefabricated houses, prefabs, Reformed Presbyterian Church, Sandyhills House, Sandyhills Park, tower blocks