A busy scene at Prince's Dock, photographed c 1900. On the left is the travelling steam crane of 130 tons capacity, erected on the West Quay to assist with the fitting of engines and boilers.
Originally Cessnock Dock, the dock was completed in 1897 when it was renamed Prince's Dock in honour of the Duke of York, who performed the opening ceremony. Prince's Dock contained 35 acres of water space, and its bustling quays were generously equipped with two-storey warehouses, cranes, coal hoists and a maze of railway sidings. It cost the Clyde Navigation Trust nearly £:1,000,000 to build and equip, excluding the cost of over £280,000 incurred in purchasing the parcels of land which made up the site of nearly 100 acres.
A magnificent power station at the south east corner provided the power for a large number of hydraulic cranes on the quays. Glasgow's first coal hoists were installed in 1903, to raise loaded coal wagons and tip their contents along chutes into ships' holds and bunkers.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
cargo, Cessnock Dock, Clyde Navigation Trust, coal hoists, cranes, docks, power stations, Prince's Dock, River Clyde, ships