An aerial view of Harland & Wolff's Middleton Shipyard in Govan, taken around 1932. Five of the yard's seven berths are shown on the right, while in the centre is the platers' workshop. On the opposite bank of the River Clyde is D&W Henderson's Meadowside Shipyard.
The Belfast shipbuilders Harland & Wolff came to Govan in 1912, when the company acquired the section of the riverfront that contained Govan's three oldest shipyards. The Middleton Yard was opened by Smith & Rodgers in 1843. The London & Glasgow Engineering and Iron Shipbuilding Co (the L&G) was formed in 1864 to acquire the business, and it became highly successful building ships for the Cunard, Glen, and other shipping lines. During the 1890s it began building warships for the Royal Navy.
Under the management of Henry P Harland, the yard was completely rebuilt between 1913 and 1917. Many notable ships were built, but investment lagged behind the Belfast yard and the Govan yards were closed in 1963.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
aerial views, Cunard Line, D & W Henderson, Glen Line, Harland & Wolff, London & Glasgow Engineering and Iron Shipbuilding Co, marine engineering, Meadowside Shipyard, Middleton Shipyard, platers, River Clyde, Royal Navy, shipbuilders, shipbuilding, ships, shipyards, Smith & Rodgers, warships