An aerial view from the south of Merklands Lairage, Partick, c 1932. The Fairfield Shipyard and the entrance to its fitting-out basin are in the foreground.
Merklands Lairage was built in 1907 to receive cattle imported from Ireland and Canada. Beasts were held there and many were slaughtered on the premises - indeed, cattle were sometimes driven through the streets from the cattle market at Bellgrove to the slaughter house at Merklands. Adjacent to the lairage is a double shed which received imported fruit, including most of the oranges bound for customers in the west of Scotland.
Most of the cattle that arrived at the Merklands Lairage were delivered in the cattle boats of the Burns & Laird Line, which also used the quay for their passenger steamers. The Clyde Shipping Co also made use of the facilities. The lairage was closed in 1974 and subsequently demolished, although the wharf is still used by small vessels.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Burns & Laird Line, cattle, Clyde Shipping Co, Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Fairfield Shipyard, fruit, markets, Merklands Lairage, oranges, quays, River Clyde, shipbuilding, ships, shipyards, slaughter houses, steamers, wharfs, wharves