An aerial view from c 1932 of Harland & Wolff's Scotstoun works, with the River Clyde in the foreground and tenement housing in the background.
The factory was built in 1910 for the Coventry Ordnance Works, to manufacture gun mountings for various shipyards building warships. It was sold to Harland & Wolff in 1920, and converted for diesel engine manufacture. Little investment was made and the firm had to seek civil engineering contracts away from shipbuilding in order to minimise losses. In 1927 the factory was put on a care and maintenance basis.
The beginning of a national rearmament programme in 1936 prompted the re-commissioning of the works to make gun mountings. After the war, work was switched to the manufacture of hydro-electric plant for the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board, and then to steel presses for the motor industry, and compressors. In 1969 the works was sold to Albion Motors, whose main factory was situated on the opposite side of South Street.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
aerial views, Albion Motors, civil engineering, compressors, Coventry Ordnance Works, diesel engines, gun mountings, Harland & Wolff, hydro-electric plant, marine engineering, motor industry, North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board, rearmament, River Clyde, steel presses, tenements, warships