An aerial view of Yoker from the southeast of the River Clyde, c 1932. Yoker power station takes centre stage, and the Renfrew Ferry can be seen close to its slipway on the north bank of the river.
Yoker power station was built in 1905 by the British Thomson Houston Co, with equipment supplied by Westinghouse. It was later acquired by the Clyde Valley Electric Power Co, and, in 1955, by the South of Scotland Electricity Board. Output rose from 4000 kilowatts in 1905 to 100,000 kilowatts by 1966, when the coal fired station had eight high-pressure boilers.
The Renfrew Ferry is a Clyde institution, and has been operated since 1782. A chain-operated service continued until 1984 when it was replaced by a modern passenger ferry. This is the only remaining cross-river passenger ferry on the Clyde, justifying its continued existence into the 21st century by carrying nearly 200,000 passengers each year.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
aerial views, British Thomson Houston Co, Clyde Valley Electric Power Co, electricity supply, ferries, power stations, Renfrew Ferry, River Clyde, South of Scotland Electricity Board, SSEB, Westinghouse, Yoker Power Station