An aerial view from the south bank of the River Clyde of the Elderslie Shipyard and dry dock (left), Scotstoun, c 1932.
The Elderslie yard was bought by Barclay, Curle & Co from John Shearer & Sons in 1912, to take the excess orders that the firm's existing Clydeholm yard could not handle. Extra land was leased to enlarge the yard into four large berths together with a 600-feet long fitting-out quay. The outbreak of war in 1914 brought a boom in ship repairing and between 1914 and 1918 the company's docks repaired 1,000 ships in dry docks, and 2,244 ships afloat.
The Elderslie yard outlived the closure of Barclay Curle's Clydeholm yard in 1967 and it was bought by Yarrow & Co in 1974.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
aerial views, Barclay, Curle & Co, Clydeholm Shipyard, dry docks, Elderslie Shipyard, First World War, John Shearer & Sons, marine engineering, River Clyde, ship repairing, shipbuilding, ships, shipyards, Yarrow & Co