An aerial view from south of the Clydeholm Shipyard and engineering works of Barclay, Curle & Co at Whiteinch, taken around 1932. In the backgound is Victoria Park.
Barclay, Curle & Co purchased the Clydeholm shipyard in 1855. Many famous ships were built there for companies which included the British India Line, City Line, Donaldson Line, Castle Line and P & O.
In 1912 control of the business passed to the Tyneside company Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson. Barclay, Curle & Co's reputation continued to grow, as much for ship repairing as for shipbuilding, although around 750 ships were built over the years. The Clydeholm yard finally closed in 1967, although ship repairing continued at Scotstoun until 1974.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
aerial views, Barclay, Curle & Co, British India Line, Castle Line, City Line, Clydeholm Shipyard, Donaldson Line, marine engineering, P & O, parks, Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co, River Clyde, ship repairing, shipbuilders, shipbuilding, shipping lines, ships, shipyards, Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Victoria Park