An aerial view of the River Clyde c 1930 looking downriver from D & W Henderson's Meadowside Shipyard (bottom centre). The Fairfield Shipyard is on the left, opposite Meadowside Quay and the Meadowside Granary. There is a ferry at either side of the crossing just west of Govan Pier. Castlebank Street running into South Street pass along the north bank of the river, beside the old Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway line. In the distance are Barclay, Curle & Co's Clydesholm Shipyard and Alexander Stephen & Sons' Linthouse Shipyard.
Meadowside Shipyard was originally developed by Tod & MacGregor. David and William Henderson, who owned a marine engineering works in Finnieston, bought the yard in 1873. The Henderson brothers were also partners in the Anchor Line, for whom they built thirty-two ships between 1876 and 1911, as well as undertaking considerable repair work. Another regular customer was the Liverpool firm of Lamport & Holt, which placed orders for nineteen ships. They also built prestigious racing yachts, including Britannia for the Prince of Wales in 1893.
Harland & Wolff bought the ordinary shares of D & W Henderson in 1917 and took over the management in 1919. The firm launched its last ship in 1935, after which it ceased trading.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
aerial views, Anchor Line, Britannia, cargo ships, D & W Henderson & Co, Fairfield Shipyard, ferries, Govan Peir, granaries, Harland & Wolff, Lamport & Holt, Lanarkshire & Dumbartonshire Railway, liners, marine engineering, Meadowside Ferry, Meadowside Granary, Meadowside Quay, Meadowside Shipyard, quays, racing yachts, railways, River Clyde, ship repairing, shipbuilders, shipbuilding, ships, shipyards, Tod & MacGregor