One of Glasgow's largest peripheral housing schemes, Castlemilk, photographed when under construction in 1957. The view is taken from Cathkin Braes looking north with the city in the background.
During the Second World War, the Braes provided a good site overlooking Glasgow for searchlights and anti-aircraft artillery. Later in the war a German Prisoner-of-War camp was built in the area.
In the middle of the photograph is Castlemilk House. Before dying in 1938, the last Stuart Laird of Castlemilk sold the land to Glasgow Corporation, which planned a new housing development on the site. With the onset of the Second World War these plans were put on hold, and Castlemilk House was used to house evacuees. After the war the building continued to be used as a children’s home until it closed in 1968. Castlemilk House was demolished in 1972.
Reference: Post-war housing no.2, A/26/F/90
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
anti-aircraft defences, Castlemilk House, Cathkin Braes, children's homes, council houses, evacuees, Glasgow Corporation, housing estates, housing schemes, landscapes, mansions, POW camps, prisoner-of-war camps, Second World War