The remains of the magnificent Girnin' Gates, Drumchapel, pictured in 1965 shortly before their demolition by Glasgow Corporation following a spate of vandalism.
The Girnin' Gates were built at the southern entrance to Garscadden House in 1789 for James Colquhoun, who was the laird of Garscadden. The magnificent entrance was depicted in all its glory in a painting by the famous Glasgow artist William Simpson.
The origin of the name is unclear. One theory holds that it derives from the two iron lions' heads adorning the gates. When it rained, instead of the water running away down a drain it appeared to run out of the eyes of the lions - as though they were "girnin'".
Reference: Post-war housing no.2, A/45/F/70
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
entrances, Garscadden House, gateways, Girnin' Gates, Glasgow Corporation, lions, towers, vandalism