Glasgow Corporation houses in Kelvindale, photographed around 1930. This is a two-storey flatted block, a "four-in-a-block" building of four apartment houses.
Council houses in areas like Kelvindale, which was generally perceived as being one of the more "better" residential areas in Glasgow, proved particularly attractive for tenants to purchase under the "right-to-buy" legislation introduced by prime minister Margaret Thatcher's Conservative government in the 1980s. Owner occupied houses in Glasgow, which stood at 25 per cent of the total in 1975, rose to 47 per cent by 1999, while the proportion of local authority houses declined from 58 per cent to 34 per cent over the same period.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
Conservative Party, council houses, flats, four-in-a-block, Glasgow Corporation, housing estates, housing schemes, owner occupation, right-to-buy