Corporation houses in Peat Road, Househillwood, pictured c 1950. The dual carriageway is the main arterial road through the housing scheme, linking it with Pollok to the north, and Nitshill to the south.
The Househillwood scheme lies to the south of Barrhead Road, close to the Pollok scheme. The building of 836 houses and 7 shops was started there in April 1936 by the contractors Loudon & Inglis. A report in October 1937 noted that progress had been slow, with only the first thirty houses ready for occupancy. Reasons given were shortage of vital materials such as brick and stone, and labour difficulties in recruiting joiners and bricklayers.
Part of the scheme had been designated for homes for elderly people, but as the Corporation was unable to obtain the necessary consent from the Department of Health for Scotland the building of these houses was deferred.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
council houses, Department of Health for Scotland, dual carriageways, Glasgow Corporation, housing estates, housing schemes, joiners, Loudon & Inglis, old people's homes, old persons, stone