Flats and shops built by Glasgow Corporation in Blackhill, photographed shortly after the buildings were completed in 1935.
Many of the original tenants in the Blackhill scheme came from slum housing in Garngad which had been condemned as unfit for human habitation. The Blackhill housing estate provided a vast improvement in living conditions and was popular with tenants. In the post-war years, however, the condition of the houses deteriorated and an over-concentration of problem families resulted in the area acquiring a bad reputation. Few tears were shed when many of the flats were demolished in 1983 to make way for the M8 motorway.
A regeneration project for Blackhill began with the opening of sixty new homes in 1999. The aim is to replace existing poor quality rented tenements with new "front and back door" houses and to provide a mix of houses for rent and sale, helping to create a more balanced community.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
anti-social tenants, council houses, flats, Glasgow Corporation, housing estates, housing schemes, M8 Motorway, motorways, shops, slums, streetscenes, tenements, urban regeneration