These flatlets for single women at Calfhill Court, Pollok, were built by Glasgow Corporation in 1953. The building was designed in an asymmetrical manner to make the most of the island site and to provide a sunny aspect to as many flats as possible.
In the original design, the living room in each flat had a small electric fire in a tile surround with book shelving alongside. The walls in the living rooms were silver grey and the bed alcoves shell pink; ceilings and woodworks were painted white.
The scheme received a Saltire Society Housing Design Award.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
awards, council houses, flatlets, flats, Glasgow Corporation, Housing Design Awards, Saltire Society, single women