One of three ten-storey high rise blocks of flats at Moss Heights, Cardonald, pictured when newly completed around 1952. Another block in the background is still under construction.
Designed by Director of Housing Ronald Bradbury in 1946, Moss Heights was one of Glasgow's earliest high rise developments. Although only ten storeys high, the flats were built on high ground which added to their dramatic appearance. Pre-cast concrete panels were given a red whinstone and ochre pebble finish. Once tenants had moved in, it was discovered that the lifts installed in the buildings were too small to carry coffins and large items of furniture. The problem was a foretaste of others to come when higher blocks were erected in the city.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
council houses, Glasgow Corporation, high rises, housing estates, housing schemes, lifts, Moss Heights, multi-storey flats, tower blocks