New houses built by Glasgow Corporation at Knightswood, pictured in 1925 as they were nearing completion. The buildings include semi-detached and terraced houses and cottage flats, all limited to two storeys.
The report of the Royal Commission on Housing in Scotland in 1917 was followed by the Housing, Town Planning , etc (Scotland) Act 1919, which enabled central government to subsidise municipal housing schemes for the first time. Glasgow embraced the Government initiative enthusiastically, and the Corporation's Direct Labour Organisation was set up in 1920 to carry out the work.
Knightswood was Glasgow's largest housing scheme, with a total of 6,714 houses built on both sides of Great Western Road from 1923. Four new shopping centres, eight churches and six schools were also provided. Amenities included a nine hole golf course, pitch and putt greens, tennis courts and football and cricket grounds. Plans for a community centre had to be postponed until after the Second World War.
Reference: OPW 76/30/1
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning
churches, community centres, cottage flats, council houses, cricket grounds, Direct Labour Organisation, football grounds, Glasgow Corporation, golf courses, houses, housing estates, housing schemes, Housing, Town Planning, etc (Scotland) Act 1919, pitch and putt greens, Royal Commission on Housing in Scotland, schools, shopping centres, tennis courts