Fur coats illustrated in Pettigrew & Stephens' sale catalogue, January 1933.
The company was formed in 1888 by Andrew Hislop Pettigrew and William Henry Stephens and their department store became very popular with city centre shoppers. In 1901 the Sauchiehall Street premises were rebuilt and refurbished, featuring a gilt dome designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, and by 1914 "Pettigrews" was the largest department store in Scotland. The business was subsequently acquired by House of Fraser and remained popular until it was closed in 1974. The building was demolished and a new shopping centre built on the site.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 381.14106541443 PET
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
art nouveau, department stores, domes, fashions, fur coats, furs, House of Fraser, Pettigrew & Stephens, sale catalogues, sales, shopping, shops, women