The Caledonian Railway Co's Garnkirk Station, pictured in a booklet issued around 1906 by William Moyes & Sons, 115 Bothwell Street. The booklet showed buildings which were fitted with Moyes' acetylene gas lighting.
Garnkirk Station was the terminus for the Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway, opened in 1831. The railway was the first to enter Glasgow and was built to transport coal, iron ore and minerals to the city from Monklands and other areas to the east of the city, and especially to carry coal to the chemical works of Charles Tennant & Co, one of the railway's main sponsors.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 338.769620941443 WIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
acetylene, Caledonian Railway Co, Charles Tennant & Co, coal, Garnkirk & Glasgow Railway, Garnkirk Station, gas, Glasgow Garnkirk & Coatbridge Railway, lighting, railway station staff, railway stations, railway workers, railways, William Moyes & Sons