The Moyes improved combination plant, pictured in a booklet issued around 1906 by William Moyes & Sons of 115 Bothwell Street to advertise the firm's acetylene gas lighting.
William Moyes & Sons was established in 1879 as a firm of plumbers and gasfitters. Acetylene gas generated from calcium carbide became commercially available in 1895 and the firm moved into provision of heating and lighting systems. They found a market in supplying such systems to villages, railway stations, lighthouses, mansions, farms and industrial works. The firm also undertook conversion work from other systems.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 338.769620941443 WIL
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
acetylene, calcium carbide, farms, gas, gasfitters, generators, heating, industrial works, lighthouses, lighting, mansions, plumbers, railway stations, William Moyes & Sons