A trade catalogue of 1937 shows staff working on various tasks at the Richmond Street works of the the firm of Thomas Taylor, bowling green bowls manufacturer.
The firm was established by James Taylor in 1796, originally as a wood turning business that produced artificial limbs and musical instruments in addition to bowls. The company was the first to introduce steam power for wood turning in Glasgow. The Richmond Street premises were purchased in 1881.
The game of bowls enjoyed a boom at the beginning of the 20th century and Thomas Taylor's sales in 1913 were 25 times greater than they had been in 1871. The First World War brought a drastic decline in demand, but by 1925 record sales were being achieved. Today, Thomas Taylor (Bowls) Ltd is a leading supplier of equipment and accessories in one of the few sports in which Scotland still produces world champions.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 338.76887631 TAY
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
artificial limbs, bowling, bowling green bowls manufacturers, bowls, lawn bowls, musical instruments, steam power, Thomas Taylor (Bowls) Ltd, trade catalogues, wood turning