An electric passenger lift made by A & P Steven, pictured in a pamphlet describing the firm's products, 1910. The passenger controlled the lift by using the push button controls, enabling the manufacturers to advertise its chief attraction to be that it "dispenses with the necessity of a lift attendant." An emergency switch could be used to correct mistakes.
Brothers Alexander and Peter Steven set up in business as hydraulic engineers in 1850. They moved to the Provanside Engine Works in St James Road in 1865. They specialised in lifts, and the electric lift they introduced in 1897 was one of the first made in Scotland.
Reference: Mitchell Library, GC 338.76218770941443 STE
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Archives
A & P Steven, electric passenger lifts, elevators, hydraulic engineers, Provanside Engine Works